Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A small victory, but a victory none the less...

There's a cycle I get in where I get out of shape, lose motivation and hate my body. I was actually doing well, in o.k. shape and feeling good about myself. Just everything else in my life at the time wasn't right. I was prescribed meds to try to fix that. It did it's job but I put on 40 lbs in about 2 months so I stopped taking them. I went from 196 to 236 in what seemed like over night. Over the next year I stayed right around the same, weighing in at 241 at my heaviest. When I got to this point I wanted to lose weight obviously but was so down on myself I'd give up almost immediately and tell myself "this is what I am."

One day I just decided enough already. I went to a new dr. and let her know everything, I mean everything that was bothering me. I got on the right medication and a switch flipped in my brain. It feels like someone found a lose wire and fixed it. This kind of jump started me back into trying to get healthy. I'm not doing anything super drastic. Just exercising a bit 3x a week and eating a bit better with smaller portions. I've joined a monthly weight loss contest with a few friends to stay motivated. Wanting to get healthy for my wonderful son, daughter, and girlfriend is pretty good motivation too. Tomorrow when I way in, it will be the first time I'm in the 220s in at least a year. It's a small step in the right direction, but I believe it was the hardest for me to take. I have a long way to go but feel I got over that small hump that I couldn't get by before. I have no intentions of stopping...

2 comments:

  1. I wrote a draining response to this but my wife was logged in so it was posted under Kristen. When I opted to log out (so that you would know who it was actually coming from) it deleted my post. Fuck!! Computers are hard!! Can't possibly recap, but I like this post.

    There were a hundred points I made but #1 is DO NOT lie to your doctor! The more I work with/ am treated by them, the dumber they seem.. but they CANNOT help you if you do not give it up... They can get very singularly focused if you do not emphasize every aspect of what is going on with you. Good choice on your part! I take the lowest dose of meds (10 mg Lexapro, 0.25 mg Xanax) because I didn't let docs bully me into pushing their ideas of what was wrong with me. I'm not depressed. I'm not bi-polar. Occasionally I feel like I'm having a heart attack and my wife needs to talk me down. Let's deal with things on THOSE terms. Look at me now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, computers do suck lol. I actually like my dr. a lot and feel like I'm finally on the right course. With others, I'd still be talking about what's been bothering me as they're already writing a script for what I "need." Like I said, it's baby steps but any progress is good progress.

    ReplyDelete