Thursday, April 28, 2011

Doing what it takes....

I wasn't really sure what I was going to write about tonight but the way my day went kind of dictated it. 

Currently I work overnights at an autistic residential. I took this shift for 2 reasons, because it works out that the baby can stay home and not go into daycare right now. Also, there are no social situations, it's just me on the floor. No social settings equal no awkward social moments for me.

 I'm learning that these hours are slowly killing me. I barely sleep and the sleep I do get is not the same if my hours were reversed and I worked days. I have to pump garbage into my body to stay awake and 8 out of 10 days I'm mistaken for a zombie. I'm willing to do whatever it takes as a man to support my family but I can't help but wonder how many years I'm throwing away on the back end by living like this....

2 comments:

  1. The day I can get out, I'm absolutely going to. It should be sooner than later and I can't wait to enjoy sleep again.... And I totally believe those numbers, which are frightening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they? I was shocked when I saw the study but then again if you think of all the shit you put your body through just from working overnight it makes absolute sense. You are awake when your body knows it should be sleeping, you're constantly tired and there really isnt ever any "catching up" on the sleep you miss but to top it off you get home and most night workers don't get the chance to sleep bc the world is on the opposite schedule as you. You end up running your body to the point of breaking and then some. I don't miss the overnights at all. Good luck to you hun

    ReplyDelete