Thursday, April 28, 2011

It's what I do...

I've worked with kids since I was 18 and the last 9 years (on and off. Mostly on) I've worked in special ed, predominantly in a residential setting. If you've read some of these kids files, it would bring you to tears. What they've been through and how they're able to cope and move on amazes me. Kind of puts everything in perspective for me. Knowing that I've played a part in helping those kids achieve their goals and make progress is a feeling that can't be expressed in written word. 
It's funny how people who have been through similar issues tend to end up working in the field and reaching out to help. I've come across many that I've worked with and it seems like everyone comes from less than spectacular circumstances and started solely to help out a kid similar to them. I may not make a lot of money and yes I get burned out at my place every once in awhile and YES I do bitch about my job. A lot. Couldn't picture myself doing anything else though.......

No comments:

Post a Comment