Thursday, April 28, 2011

Music over booze...

We all try to cope with our issues and where I'm from, it's pretty much a given that you're going to drink or drug your bad feelings away. You cannot throw a rock without hitting a bar or a liquor store. Anything you need to self medicate was easily acquired, and I found that out by 13.

I "self medicated" a lot. Like I said on a previous post, I was misdiagnosed as depressed, but even that didn't happen until I was 16. I knew by 12 something was wrong. I did what I could to release the stress. I cut, I drank, I smoked the illegal stuff. 
My drinking got out of hand where I'd black out at least once a week. 

I'm at a point where I could care less about any of that garbage. I found something that helps medicate me without destroying me. Of course, having a good core of people around me helps. And of course having a 6 month old will surely put your life in order. I found that just listening to meaningful music that relates to my life is the way to go. I'm not talking about that throw up over a beat or guitar riff you hear on the radio. I'm talking underground rap to hardcore to classical and everything in between. 

Lately I've been stuck on Cage, El-P, Downset and old Pantera. Anything with meaning really. I'm looking for suggestions please. If you have an artist that hits you hard or a song that does the same, leave it in a comment. I gotta keep music over booze......

2 comments:

  1. I love music...if you are looking for harder stuff, check out Bleeding Through, BlesstheFall, or Killswitch...Go Radio is a really good pop-punk band, the singer has an amazing voice..also check out Automatic Loveletter, a female-fronted band

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any particular song you'd recommend?

    ReplyDelete